The family's Doncaster home was destroyed in the fire.

The family’s Doncaster home was destroyed in the fire. Photo: Nine News

A young family with a 10-month-old baby have been left with nothing but the clothes on their back after an overheated laptop burnt down their entire home.

The family, recently from China, and their elderly parents were at the beach on Sunday when the Doncaster home they were renting burst into flames.

When firefighters arrived about 11.40am, thick, black smoke was billowing from the single-storey Kelly Street home.

While the fire was brought under control 20 minutes later, the house was destroyed. 

Metropolitan Fire Brigade spokeswoman Meg Rayner said the family was “completely devastated”.

“They’re left with only the clothes on their back and their beach bags,” she told Fairfax Media.

MFB fire investigators found an overheated laptop that had been plugged into the television for hours caused the lithium battery to overheat, sparking the blaze.  

The couple did  not have insurance, Ms Rayner said.

She said firefighters to dug through the debris to find the mother’s wedding ring, which was badly damaged, but still intact.

“They also found a bracelet that had been given to the baby,” she said.

It was not the first time an electrical device plugged into the power point has damaged  homes.

In January, a “hoverboard” charger bought over the internet as a Christmas gift caught fire, destroying house in Strathmore. 

Tech giant Apple also instigated a massive recall of power point adapters across its range of portable devices in January after a small number were found to have broken, causing risk of electric shock.

In 2015, MFB and CFA attended 28 fires caused by portable electrical appliances such as battery chargers, laptops, and over-loaded power boards.