Laptop sparks mattress fire in Hillsboro apartment – KOIN.com

The laptop overheated and the mattress caught fire, June 13 2016. (Hillsboro Fire)

The laptop overheated and the mattress caught fire, June 13 2016. (Hillsboro Fire)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A laptop sparked a mattress fire in the bedroom of a 3-year-old child on Monday morning in Hillsboro.

The laptop overheated and the mattress caught fire, June 13 2016. (Hillsboro Fire)
The laptop overheated and the mattress caught fire, June 13 2016. (Hillsboro Fire)

Hillsboro Fire and Rescue say the apartment in the Quatama Crossing complex suffered limited damage because sprinklers had extinguished the fire.

The family was woken by a fire alarm and escaped unharmed. They pulled the alarm for the rest of the complex to alert other residents.

Investigators say the laptop was plugged in and overheated, causing the foam top to ignite.

Hillsboro Fire and Rescue advises laptop users to unplug all appliances when not in use. If charging laptops overnight, be sure to leave them on a noncombustible surface or on a cooling pad. Lithium-ion batteries are known to generate high heat when in charging cycle. 

Comments

Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*