CLOSE
x

Embed

x

Today’s top headlines.
YORK DAILY RECORD

A laptop caused a fire at a home in Springfield Township on Wednesday afternoon, and the damage is estimated at $75,000, Loganville Fire Chief Bryan Ream said.

All that was left of the computer were the wires, he said. The laptop was sitting on a small desk next to a wicker chair, and it was plugged in because the battery was going bad.

“It all burned up,” he said.

READ:Lightning kills 32 cows, leaving them ‘piled on top of each other’

No one was home at the time of the fire at the duplex in the 800 block of Lake Redman Court.

Recent news reports have shown that lithium-ion batteries in laptop computers can explode and cause a fire.

Ream said he did not know the brand of the computer or whether the battery exploded in this case.

READ: Mickey’s pizza in Loganville cuts big deal in Delaware

The fire was minimal because the house was sealed up, which limited the oxygen getting to the blaze, Ream said. Most of the damage was caused by the smoke.

Two adults were displaced, he said. They plan to stay with relatives.

Firefighters from Loganville, Jacobus, York Township, Dallastown, Seven Valleys, Glen Rock and Red Lion responded to the fire.

Officials called a “working fire” because of the amount of smoke the first responders saw coming out of the back of the house, Ream said. They wanted to make sure they had enough personnel on the scene.