Two Libyans identified as Lockerbie bombing suspects, Scotland, US say – CNN
Two named suspects
Scotland’s prosecution service, the Crown Office, on Thursday said Scotland’s chief public prosecutor — known as the lord advocate — and the U.S. attorney general had recently agreed there was a legal basis for Scottish and U.S. investigators to treat two Libyans as suspects in the bombing.
“The Lord Advocate and the U.S. Attorney General are seeking the assistance of the Libyan judicial authorities for Scottish police officers and the FBI to interview the two named suspects in Tripoli.
“The two individuals are suspected of involvement, along with Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, in the bombing of flight Pan Am 103 in December 1988 and the murder of 270 people,” the statement said.
Al Megrahi was found guilty in 2001 of the murders of those on board the plane and on the ground.
In August 2009, he was released from a Scottish prison on the grounds that he had been diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer and had only a few months to live. He was sent home to Libya on “compassionate” grounds, receiving a hero’s welcome at the airport, and died in 2012.
Libya agreed in 2003 to pay $2.7 billion in compensation to the families of the bombing victims, though Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi always remained cagey about admitting official Libyan involvement in the bombing.