Trump Says He’s Prepared to Spend Millions on Campaign – ABC News
Donald Trump says he’s prepared to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on his presidential campaign as long as he’s doing well in the polls.
In an interview with Fox News Channel’s Sean Hannity set to air Tuesday night, Trump was asked whether he was prepared to spend $345 million or more to fund his establishment-bucking campaign.
“Sure. You saw my income, my income is $400 million a year,” Trump responded, according to highlights released by the network. “Sure, I would spend that if I am doing well!”
The billionaire businessman’s campaign has also begun soliciting fundraising dollars through its website. Despite the appeals, campaign spokeswoman Hope Hicks said that Trump will continue to finance the campaign, but has “been overwhelmed by unsolicited contributions.”
She said that Trump will match any money coming in.
Trump’s campaign so far has been dominated by one firestorm after the next, the latest involving Fox News personality Megyn Kelly’s debate questions. The former reality television star, furious over what he deemed unfair treatment, lashed out at Kelly and the network, telling CNN on Friday that during the debate Kelly had “blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.”
But the feud between Trump and Fox News, one of the most powerful voices in Republican and conservative circles, appeared to thaw on Monday after the network’s chairman, Roger Ailes, reached out to Trump directly to clear the air.
“I assured him that we will continue to cover this campaign with fairness & balance,” Ailes said in a statement.
The network announced shortly after that Trump would be appearing on two of its shows on Tuesday, including a lengthy interview with Sean Hannity.
“As far as I’m concerned, I’m fine with it,” Trump told CNN’s “New Day” Tuesday morning after concluding a brief phone interview with “Fox & Friends” in which Trump made no mention of Kelly or her questions.
The CNN conversation was much more heated, as host Chris Cuomo pressed Trump on his lack of specific policy proposals since declaring his presidential run. His campaign has said it plans to unveil new policy plans soon.
“They want me to come up with a 10-point plan, a 14-point plan, a 20-point plan. It doesn’t necessarily work that way,” said Trump, who argued that, in business, flexibility is key.
On both shows, Trump also refused once again to rule out a third-party run.
“We’re going to keep the door open, we’re going to see what happens,” he said on Fox. “I want to run as a Republican But I do want to keep that door open in case I don’t get treated fairly.”
Colvin reported from Newark, New Jersey.