The 8 ways Trump has attacked Rubio’s sweating – Politico
Donald Trump, who’s repeatedly picked on Jeb Bush for being “low energy,” has ramped up his obsession with a new target: how much his opponent Florida Sen. Marco Rubio sweats.
The Donald has remarked on Rubio’s perspiration at least eight times in the last seven weeks, according to a POLITICO count. Most recently, Trump told Bloomberg TV on Monday: “[Rubio] is the one that sweats the most … He’s the youngest but I have never seen any human being sweat like that.” Rubio, for the most part, has brushed off Trump’s swipes about his sweat, telling Fox News in October, “I drink water. So what? And I only sweat when it’s hot.”
Story Continued Below
Here are 7 more times when Trump has remarked on the sweating of Rubio, who famously reached for a bottle of water during his response to President Obama’s State of the Union address in 2013.
1. Sept. 18, interviewed on “Kilmeade & Friends” on Fox News Radio: “Marco Rubio, I’ve never seen anybody sweat like that and you know a lot of these guys are serious sweaters, frankly but it was extremely hot in the [debate] room and extremely uncomfortable.’”
2. Sept. 23, during a speech at South Carolina African American Chamber of Commerce in Charleston, per ABC News: “Rubio, I’ve never seen a young guy sweat that much. He’s drinking water, water, water … I never saw anything like this with him, with the water.”
3. Sept. 24, interviewed on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe”: “He sweats more than any young person I’ve ever seen in my life. … I’ve never seen a guy down water like he downs water. … They bring it in buckets for this guy.”
4. Oct. 5: Trump’s campaign sent Rubio a 24-bottle case of “Trump Ice Natural Spring Water” (“one of the purest natural spring waters bottled in the world,” according to Trump’s website), two “Make America Great Again” towels and bumper stickers. “Since you’re always sweating, we thought you could use some water. Enjoy!” the campaign wrote in a note accompanying the gift.
5. Oct. 10, at a campaign rally in Norcross, GA, per CBS News: “[H]ere’s the problem with Rubio: when you sweat that much … now think of it. So you have Putin – he’s sitting over here. And he’s waiting to kill the stupid Americans because he’s been just destroying us so badly. So he figures, and a guy walks in, and he’s soaking wet and sweating. ‘Hello, hello, can I have some water?’”
6. Oct. 21, campaigning in southern Iowa, according to the Washington Examiner: “I always say, I have never seen a young person sweat like Marco Rubio … He drinks more water — he’s like a machine. Water, water, water. Sweats, gives a speech. Think of Putin. Pretty tough cookie, right? I think [of] Rubio and I’m saying, you have to be cool. You have to be really cool. And Rubio’s going to meet him and walk in, and he’s sweating — sweat is pouring down. And Putin’s going to look at him and say, ‘What the hell is wrong with this guy?'”
7. Oct. 24, at a campaign rally in Jacksonville, Fla.: “Have you ever seen a guy sweat like Rubio?”