Subway on reports of raid at spokesman Jared Fogle’s home: ‘We are shocked’ – Los Angeles Times
Subway expressed concern about reports Tuesday that the home of longtime spokesman Jared Fogle had been raided by federal authorities, saying officials were “shocked” and “monitoring the situation closely.”
“We are shocked about the news and believe it is related to a prior investigation of a former Jared Foundation employee. We are very concerned and will be monitoring the situation closely. We don’t have any more details at this point,” a Subway spokesman said in a statement.
According to local station WTHR-TV, Fogle’s Zionsville, Ind., home was raided by federal and state agents around 6:30 a.m. Tuesday. The station reported that he was detained outside his home but was not under arrest. His wife and children left the home shortly after the raid began, the station reported, and Fogle later left with an attorney Tuesday afternoon.
Tim Horty, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Indiana, would not say whether his office was investigating. The FBI and Indiana State Police confirmed they were assisting with an investigation in Zionsville, where Fogle lives, but declined to confirm that he was involved and referred questions to Horty’s office.
Fogle, 37, has appeared in the sandwich chain’s ads for more than 15 years, touting the “Subway diet,” which he claimed helped him lose 245 pounds. Known to many as “the Subway guy,” Fogle helped the restaurant become a central part of a burgeoning healthy eating movement, at one point joining First Lady Michelle Obama at an event as part of her campaign to combat childhood obesity.
He rose to fame after Men’s Health magazine reported on his weight loss, which began when he was an obese junior at Indiana University. He became a relatable model for those seeking healthier lifestyles — he exercises, but doesn’t love it, and still splurges “plenty of times,” he told The Times in 2012.
An attorney for Fogle did not immediately respond to requests for comment. It appears Fogle is still serving as a Subway spokesman. However, pages detailing his story and history with the company that appeared on Subway’s site as recently as Sunday have now disappeared. References to Fogle in Subway’s “frequently asked questions” section were deleted Tuesday afternoon.
The reported raid at Fogle’s house comes two months after the former executive director of a foundation he founded was arrested on child pornography charges.
Federal prosecutors filed a criminal complaint against Russell Taylor, 43, charging him with seven counts of production and one count of possession of child pornography in a criminal complaint filed May 4.
A joint task force of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, the Indiana State Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation raided Taylor’s home April 29 after getting a tip that he was in possession of illegal pornographic images. Investigators say they found more than 400 videos of child pornography in Taylor’s home office.
Investigators said Taylor “sexually exploited four children” to produce pornography in the bathrooms and bedrooms of his home between 2012 and 2015, according to the criminal complaint. The complaint indicates the children, both male and female, did not know they were being filmed.
Shortly after Taylor’s arrest, Fogle released a statement saying he was “shocked” about the allegations and was severing all ties with Taylor, the Associated Press reported.
The investigation into Taylor started in September 2014 after a women he was texting sexual messages to reported him to police, according to the complaint. The woman told police he offered to show her child pornography.
Times staff writer Christine Mai-Duc contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times