South Carolina City To Pay $6.5 Million Settlement For Fatally Shooting Walter … – Huffington Post

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — City officials in South Carolina approved a $6.5 million settlement Thursday with the family of an unarmed black man fatally shot by a white police officer who was captured on cellphone video firing at the man’s back as he ran away.

The North Charleston City Council approved the settlement by a 10-0 vote, and members of Walter Scott’s family were on hand when it was announced.

Scott, 50, was shot April 4 by North Charleston officer Michael Slager while trying to run from a traffic stop. A bystander recorded the shooting in dramatic cellphone video.

Slager was indicted on a murder charge in June and a judge refused to set bond last month, saying his release would “constitute an unreasonable danger to the community.”

“While nothing can replace having Walter in our lives, the City of North Charleston’s historic action ensures that he did not die in vain,” Scott’s brother Anthony said, noting the settlement will provide for Scott’s children.

“It was a bittersweet victory,” he added. “The family still wants justice for my brother and this was a step in the right direction.”

Anthony Scott said the family plans to donate some of the money from the settlement to disaster relief for victims of the recent floods in South Carolina.

Mayor Keith Summey said he was pleased with the settlement.

“The family took steps to keep the community calm, and for that the city is thankful,” he said. “This is a very difficult period for the Scott family. I know they are glad to have this part behind them so their healing process can continue.”

Comments

Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*