Police arrest at least 12 protesters who occupied City Hall after Kevin Davis … – Baltimore Sun

Baltimore police arrested at least 12 protesters who occupied City Hall overnight, hours after a City Council committee approved the permanent appointment of interim Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis on Wednesday.

Dozens of protesters remained on the balcony overlooking the hearing room after the meeting finished. About 30 were still there after midnight.

About 3:15 a.m. many of the remaining protesters left City Hall saying that dozens of officers had appeared in the hallway near the room where they were located with flex-cuffs. Officers warned that City Hall was closed and arrests would be made, protesters said.

Lawrence Grand Pre, one of the protesters who left, said those remaining were “young people being young people, and talking a lot about social justice.” He said watching the youth protesters’ “level of commitment to social justice is empowering.”

At about 4:45 a.m. at least 12 protesters who had remained inside were arrested, and officers escorted them outside to police vans.

As she was being placed in back of the police van, one protester yelled “Ay yo commissioner, what’s good?”

She also yelled to other protesters that if she died in police custody it was not suicide.

Baltimore Police said that after “hours of communication and warnings, a small number of protesters inside of City Hall decided to leave the building.” The remaining protesters were arrested and charged with trespassing, police said, adding there were no reported injuries to any protesters or officers.

Earlier Wednesday night the committee meeting drew a large crowd — with supporters praising Davis’ approach to policing and others criticizing his brief tenure at the helm of the department.

Protesters at one point disrupted the hearing, chanting “No justice, no peace! If we don’t get it, shut it down!” and “Stop the vote! Stop the vote!”

The council’s appointments committee nonetheless approved his appointment, which will now go before the entire City Council next week.

During the committee hearing, Davis spoke to both audiences, telling council members and protesters that police departments across the country are taking on a new focus — changing their “warrior mentality” back into a “guardian mentality.”

He repeatedly promised that a return to community policing, strengthened partnerships with federal law enforcement and an open dialogue with Baltimoreans from all walks of life — protesters and faith leaders, rank-and-file officers and family members of crime victims — would be the touchstones of his time as commissioner.

“The community will determine our success,” he said. “There’s no two ways about it.”

During the hearing, council members questioned Davis about putting more officers on the streets and using new technology such as officer body cameras, both of which Davis said he supported.

Amid the disruption, the committee voted to approve Davis’ confirmation. Council members William “Pete” Welch, Rochelle “Rikki” Specter and Eric T. Costello voted for approval. Councilman Nick Mosby voted against, and Councilman Carl Stokes abstained.

If the full City Council confirms Davis’ appointment, his contract would then have to be approved by the Board of Estimates. That board is controlled by Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, whose administration crafted the contract. She initially proposed Davis’ confirmation.

The contract would pay Davis $200,000 a year, with $150,000 in severance if the city’s next mayor fires him without cause. It would have him finish out the five years left of his predecessor Anthony W. Batt’s term.

Council members had expressed concerns about Davis receiving a large severance package if Rawlings-Blake’s successor wanted to appoint a new commissioner. Rawlings-Blake has said she will not run for re-election.

Mosby said in a statement after the hearing that the next mayor should be able to decide whether to bring in new leadership. If the new mayor picks another chief, he said, citizens “should not be saddled with $150,000 golden parachute.” Mosby has said he is considering running for mayor.

The hearing Wednesday occurred amid a particularly difficult time for the Police Department: three months after Batts was fired by Rawlings-Blake; six months after the death of Freddie Gray sparked protests and rioting; and 10 months into a year of unprecedented city violence, with homicides at a level not seen since the 1990s.

A coalition of community activists issued a list of 19 demands to Davis and Rawlings-Blake regarding how the city and the Police Department should handle protests. As demonstrations against police brutality and other simmering issues continue, activists said they want to “work together for a better Baltimore” but demanded immediate change.

“We need calm — not escalation. We need to protect life over property,” the Baltimore Uprising coalition wrote in its action statement. “We need to ensure that non-violent protest is permitted. To achieve this, we need agreements and accountability.”


Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*