Paris attacks investigation: Latest developments – CNN

First on CNN: Investigators in Paris have recovered multiple cell phones at the scenes of the attacks believed to belong to the attackers, a possible big break that could help unravel the plot and the suspected network behind it, counterterrorism and intelligence officials told CNN’s Evan Perez and Shimon Prokupecz. According to the officials, at least one phone contained a message, sent sometime before the attacks began, to the effect of: OK, we’re ready.

– NEW: Police, issuing a photo, asked for the public’s help identifying a suicide bomber from the Stade de France. Following the attack at the stadium outside Paris, police found an emergency passport or similar document identifying him as a 25-year-old Syrian using the name Ahmad al Muhammad. Authorities believe the name is fake. A police spokesman says the man in the picture is not French and they don’t know whether he’s from Syria.

– NEW: German officials say they haven’t found any explosives or made any arrests at a stadium in Hannover, Germany, which was evacuated Tuesday just before a friendly match between Germany and the Netherlands was about to begin. Officials canceled the match after police uncovered “serious plans for explosives,” police official Volker Kluwe told German public broadcaster NDR. German Chancellor Angela Merkel scrubbed plans to attend. Why’d they call off the match? French intelligence came in “regarding a radical Islamist living near Hannover, allegedly planning to attack (a) ‘football event,” said Florian Flade, a security analyst and reporter who spoke with German intelligence and security officials. “

- NEW: The France-England soccer friendly kicked off under tight security at Wembley Stadium in London. Players and fans united to sing the French national anthem, followed by a minute of silence. “I’m proud to have been at Wembley tonight as thousands of football fans sang La Marseillaise to show solidarity with France,” British Prime Minister David Cameron tweeted.

Analysis: Paris explosives are a key clue to plot

The investigation

– Police now believe a second suspect tied to the attacks could be on the loose. There is a “strong presumption” that a second suspect linked to the Paris attacks is still at large, an official source close to the investigation told CNN. That suspect has not been identified.

– For days, investigators have said they’re searching for suspect Salah Abdeslam. They haven’t found him yet. But on Tuesday, French media outlets reported that authorities had found a car he rented. A black Renault Clio with Belgian plates found in Paris’ 18th arrondissement, on the north side of the city, had been rented by Abdeslam, 26, police sources said, according to French media outlets.

– Police searching two suburban Paris hotel rooms rented by Abdeslam found syringes that may have been used to make the other attackers’ explosive vests, French media reported. The rooms contained pizza boxes, as well as tubes and other material that are being tested for explosives, according to the reports.

– Abdeslam, a French citizen, was the subject of a “routine check” on a motorway in northwest Austria on September 9, said Karl Heinz Grundboeck, spokesman for Austria’s Interior Ministry. The routine check did not result in any further investigation.

– One of the voices heard in an ISIS video claiming responsibility for the attacks is that of Fabien Clain, a French senior ISIS operative, according to a French security source. Clain, who was convicted in 2009 for his involvement in al Qaeda in Iraq recruitment effort, is suspected of having a link with a plot to attack churches in Paris in April and the thwarted attack on the high-speed Amsterdam-to-Paris train in August, European security officials told CNN.

– Les Beguines, a Brussels bar registered to one of the Paris attackers, Ibrahim Abdeslam, was closed for drug-related offenses eight days before the Paris attacks, according to Molenbeek Mayor Francoise Schepmans.

– Prior to the Paris terrorist attacks, France and its allies tried to target Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the prominent ISIS member believed to have planned the attack, a French source close to the investigation said. They were unable to locate him, the source told CNN. Secretary of State John Kerry told CNN he could not confirm the report. Abaaoud is believed by counterterrorism officials to be the likely link between the senior ISIS leadership and the militant group’s operatives in European countries.

– Officials have identified three of the suicide bombers as Frenchmen Samy Amimour, Ismael Omar Mostefai and Bilal Hadfi. The newspaper, Le Monde, reports that Salah’s older brother, Ibrahim, was one of the suicide bombers. Belgian federal prosecutor Eric Van Der Sypt said the Abdeslam brothers and Hadfi were known to Belgian authorities before Friday. Hadfi was among those who attacked the Stade de France, officials said.

Complete coverage on terror in Paris

The scene in France

– The upcoming Charlie Hedbo satirical magazine is expected to hit newsstands Wednesday. The cover reads: “They have the weapons. Screw them. We have the champagne!” The magazine’s office was the target of a terror attack in July.

– Russian President Vladimir Putin and French President Hollande spoke on the phone and “the two leaders paid special attention to stepping up bilateral and multilateral cooperation to counter international terrorism,” the Kremlin said.

– Hollande will visit Washington next week, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said.

– French authorities carried out 128 new security raids overnight, officials said. They put 23 people into custody, put 104 under house arrest and seized weapons that include a rocket launcher.

Who were the suspects behind the attacks?

Around the globe

– British Prime Minister David Cameron told Parliament he will try to convince them to approve UK airstrikes against ISIS in Syria. Presently, the UK is participating only in strikes on Iraq.

– Kerry called the attacks in Paris “an aberration,” further saying, “This is not normal. It will not be normal. It will not become normal.”

– Kerry said a new coalition that includes Iran and Russia “gives us an opportunity to, perhaps, get a ceasefire in place within the next three, four, five weeks,” ending a civil war in Syria that’s been ongoing since 2011.

– The Russian Metrojet plane jet that crashed over the Sinai last month was brought down by a bomb estimated to contain 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of explosives, the head of the Russian Federal Security Service said. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack. Russia is offering $50 million for information leading to the arrest of those responsible. Egypt’s government said it would “take into consideration” the Russian findings.

– Ten French warplanes were involved in overnight airstrikes on the ISIS-stronghold of Raqqa, Syria, the Defense Ministry said. Six jets delivered 16 bombs and hit a training center and command center that were part of the ISIS headquarters, the ministry said. Russia also doubled its airstrikes against Islamic State targets in Syria, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said, explaining that it had hit ISIS targets with airstrikes and cruise missiles in Raqqa, Deir Ezzor and Aleppo and Idlib provinces. In total, the minister said, Russia conducted 127 missions targeting 206 terrorist sites.

– A soccer match between Belgium and Spain, scheduled in Brussels, was canceled for security concerns.

– More than two dozen U.S. states have said they oppose accepting any refugees from Syria. The State Department said it is taking the governors’ concerns seriously, but it remains “steadfastly committed” to bringing in 10,000 Syrian refugees next year, spokesman Mark Toner said.

How the ISIS fight went global

Comments

Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*