LAREDO, TEXAS – Federal investigators will probe a charter bus crash that left at least eight people dead and 44 injured Saturday in south Texas.

The National Transportation Safety Board’s team is scheduled to arrive Sunday morning to the crash scene, where the charter bus headed to a casino rolled over on Highway 83, 46 miles north of Laredo.

Webb county authorities said they do not know what caused the crash.


The OGA Charters bus rolled over around 1 p.m. about 8 miles north of the Border Patrol checkpoint on Highway 83 in Webb County, authorities said.

Public Safety Trooper Conrad Hein said seven people died at the scene north of Laredo. An eighth person died later at a hospital.

The injured were treated at local hospitals, county authorities said.

“The driver of the bus lost control and rolled over,” he said. “Everything’s real preliminary right now.”

Hein said the driver was among the survivors. His name and the names of passengers were not immediately available.


OGA Charters is based in San Juan, but the bus was coming from the Rio Grande Valley and was headed to a casino in Eagle Pass, about 125 miles northwest of Laredo.

The crash is one of the deadliest bus accidents in Texas in the last several years. In January 2015, two state corrections officers and eight inmates were killed after their Texas Department of Criminal Justice bus struck a piece of displaced highway guardrail west of Odessa. The bus fell about 20 feet before striking a Union Pacific freight train that happened to be passing beneath the highway. Last Thursday, the NTSB concluded that the wreck was caused by the bus hitting the guardrail piece.

In 2008, 17 people headed to a religious retreat in Missouri were killed near Sherman when their bus plunged over a highway bridge. The NTSB blamed that crash on a retreaded tire on the right front axle that was punctured by an unknown object.

The retread itself wasn’t the cause, but panel noted that the tire was affixed to the front axle illegally. Not only that, the bus company had failed an inspection three months earlier and didn’t have the authority to leave Texas; nor was it equipped to measure the bus’ standards. 

Contributing: The Associated Press.