An Oct. 30 incident between Cincinnati Reds closer Aroldis Chapman and his girlfriend is the subject of a Major League Baseball investigation that is holding up a proposed trade of Chapman to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Dodgers reportedly were on the verge of acquiring Chapman from the Reds on Monday for two minor leaguers. But a source tells ESPN’s Mark Saxon that the fate of the deal is in the hands of MLB, which is investigating the incident under its new domestic violence policy.

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said Monday night that while the deal is not dead, it could take weeks to complete.

Chapman fired eight gunshots in the garage of his Davie, Florida, home and was accused of choking his girlfriend during the Oct. 30 incident, according to a police report obtained by Yahoo! Sports.

Chapman’s girlfriend told police that the incident started when she questioned him about something on his cellphone. Chapman admitted to police that he fired the gun but denied choking his girlfriend.

Police said in the report that they did not make any arrests because of inconsistencies in stories and no physical evidence of injuries. Four days later, Assistant State Attorney Marcie Zaccor also said there was insufficient evidence to charge Chapman in the incident.

According to MLB’s domestic violence policy, a violator could be subject to suspension or a fine at the discretion of commissioner Rob Manfred.

Jay Reisinger, Chapman’s attorney, told Yahoo! Sports on Monday night, “I’ve reviewed the facts as portrayed. On behalf of Mr. Chapman, we vehemently deny the allegations as stated. Beyond that, we have no further comment at this time.”

The Boston Globe reported Monday night that the Red Sox, prior to obtaining San Diego Padres closer Craig Kimbrel last month, also had been exploring a trade for Chapman until a background check turned up the alleged domestic violence incident.

ESPN’s Mark Saxon and Jayson Stark contributed to this report.