Las Vegas Shooting: Gunman’s Girlfriend Says She Knew Nothing of Plans – New York Times

In her first public statement since the Las Vegas massacre, the gunman’s girlfriend said on Wednesday that he had sent her on a trip to the Philippines and wired her money there, but that she did not know he had been planning to harm anyone.

The statement from the woman, Marilou Danley, which was read by her lawyer, Matthew Lombard, came after Ms. Danley went to the Los Angeles offices of the F.B.I. for questioning, according to a law enforcement official. It was released as the authorities sought her insight into what prompted a man with no evident criminal history to become a mass murderer.

She stressed that she returned to the United States voluntarily, “because I know that the F.B.I. and the Las Vegas police department wanted to talk to me, and I wanted to talk to them.”

• Investigators on Wednesday confirmed that the gunman, Stephen Paddock, had left a note inside his suite at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. “It was not a suicide note. I’m comfortable saying that,” said Sheriff Joseph Lombardo.

• “It never occurred to me in any way whatsoever that he was planning violence against anyone,” Ms. Danley said in her statement on Wednesday.

• Of the 489 people injured in the shooting, 317 have been discharged from hospitals and about 50 are in critical condition. The death toll remained at 58 victims as of Wednesday night.

• Top congressional Republicans, who for decades have resisted any legislative limits on guns, signaled on Wednesday that they would be open to banning “bump stocks,” the firearm accessory Mr. Paddock used to transform his rifles to mimic automatic weapon fire.

Continue reading the main story

Comments

Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*