SAN DIEGO — Chargers chairman Dean Spanos said Friday that the team will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season but has an agreement with the Rams to move to Los Angeles if a long-term stadium solution to remain in the city isn’t worked out.

Spanos delivered the news in a message to Chargers fans posted on the team’s website.

“Today I decided our team will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season and I hope for the long term in a new stadium,” he said.

“I have met with Mayor (Kevin) Faulconer and Supervisor (Ron) Roberts and I look forward to working closely with them and the business community to resolve our stadium dilemma. We have an option and an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams to go to Inglewood in the next year, but my focus is on San Diego.”

Earlier Friday, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that the Rams and Chargers had agreed to share a yet-to-be-built stadium in Inglewood. Sources confirmed the agreement to ESPN.

According to the relocation agreement between the teams, the Chargers have a one-year window that ends on Jan. 15, 2017, to move to Los Angeles as the second team at the Inglewood project, which is set to be completed by the 2019 season. The Chargers can extend that option to Jan. 15, 2018, if a referendum for public financing in San Diego is not approved before Nov. 15 of this year.

“We are very supportive of the decision by Dean Spanos to continue his efforts in San Diego and work with local leaders to develop a permanent stadium solution,” commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. “NFL ownership has committed $300 million to assist in the cost of building a new stadium in San Diego. I have pledged the league’s full support in helping Dean to fulfill his goal.”

When NFL owners approved the Rams’ move from St. Louis to Los Angeles earlier this month, the league gave the Chargers and Raiders, who are looking to move out of Oakland, an additional $100 million in financial support for a new stadium if they stayed in their home markets.

An additional $200 million for the Chargers would be a loan in G-4 money from the league’s stadium fund.

If Spanos’ desire to remain in San Diego is completed, the Chargers would have that money for a new stadium to replace its current Qualcomm Stadium.

“This has been our home for 55 years, and I want to keep the team here and provide the world-class stadium experience you deserve,” Spanos said in his letter to fans. “Everyone on both sides of the table in San Diego must now determine the best next steps and how to deploy the additional resources provided by the NFL. I am committed to looking at this with a fresh perspective and new sense of possibility.”