CHICAGO (WGN) — The horrible video of a teenager being shot 16 times by a Chicago cop is being seen all over the world, but it appears some video from the scene has gone missing.
The manager of a Burger King near the scene says his surveillance video was erased by police, and WGN has learned that he’s told that to a federal grand jury.
See more images from the case:
The Burger King at 41st and Pulaski is about 50 yards away from the spot where Laquan McDonald was fatally shot by a CPD officer. While we know more about what happened the night of Oct. 20, 2014, it’s what happened hours later, inside the Burger King, that federal investigators are still fleshing out.
The restaurant’s manager has insisted for months that his surveillance system was tampered with by the very police officers he was trying to help. He says 86 minutes of video from around the time of the shooting was erased. His statements Friday support what lawyers for the McDonald family first told WGN news back on Nov. 18.
“A police detective and a technician went into the Burger King…and the Burger King employees, including the manager, looked at the video, and found about 83 minutes of video that were missing, which included the time the shooting occurred, ” attorney Michael Robbins said.
In announcing murder charges Tuesday against officer Jason Van Dyke, State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez said there was no evidence that video had been deleted: “It doesn’t appear that they’ve been tampered with, and did not reveal any of that kind of evidence.”
When pressed on the same question at his own press conference later the same day, Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy stood alongside Mayor Emanuel and put it even more emphatically: “It’s absolutely not true, and I think the State’s Attorney addressed that today. There were apparently technical difficulties, but in no way, shape or form that anything was tampered with, and I think she covered that.”
Additionally, the Burger King manager told WGN that police, somewhat ironically were also caught on the same surveillance system deleting files. He says the FBI now has that video.
See more from the protests that followed the shooting:
More from AOL.com:
Newborn in stable condition after being found ‘buried alive’ in Los Angeles
More deaths blamed on wintry storm moving through central US
Suspect in Colorado attack called recluse who left few clues