When President Trump tweeted to commemorate International Women’s Day early Wednesday, he did so in his characteristically Trump fashion — assuring us that he has “tremendous respect for women” and the things they do that are so “vital to the fabric of our society and our economy.”
If that sounds somewhat oddly defensive, it’s because Trump has been forced to utter those kinds of words before — many times.
No fewer than 21 times since the start of his 2016 campaign, in fact, has Trump assured us of his respect for women. Often, those assurances have come in response to a controversy over something he has said or allegedly done.
A brief recap:
1. Wednesday morning:
I have tremendous respect for women and the many roles they serve that are vital to the fabric of our society and our economy.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 8, 2017
On International Women’s Day, join me in honoring the critical role of women here in America & around the world.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 8, 2017
2. At an Oct. 9, 2016, debate after the “Access Hollywood” video was released: “I have great respect for women. Nobody has more respect for women than I do. I’ve said things that, frankly, you hear these things I said. And I was embarrassed by it. But I have tremendous respect for women. And women have respect for me.”
3. After Clinton attacked his treatment of women at an Oct. 19 debate: “Nobody has more respect for women than I do. Nobody.”
4. After making fun of Carly Fiorina’s appearance in October 2015: “I respect women more than I respect men. … I have great respect, admiration, and I cherish women.”
5. In response to the Fiorina situation on the “Today” show: “I have tremendous respect for women, and I am going to protect women. … [Ivanka Trump] said, ‘Dad, you respect and love women so much. Could you talk about it more because people don’t really understand how you feel?'”
6. After the Megyn Kelly “blood coming out of her wherever” comment: “I cherish women. I want to help women. I’m going to do things for women that no other candidate will be able to do.”
7. After Trump attacked Heidi Cruz by retweeting an unflattering photo comparing her to Melania Trump:
The media is so after me on women Wow, this is a tough business. Nobody has more respect for women than Donald Trump!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 26, 2016
8. When a young woman suggested he wasn’t a “friend to women” at an October 2015 No Labels event in New Hampshire: “I respect women incredibly. I have had women working for me in positions that they have never worked in terms of so many different jobs. I had a woman who was in charge of the building of Trump Tower many years ago before it was even thought — before anybody would have even thought of it and it did a fantastic job. I have given women more opportunity than, I would say virtually, anybody in the construction industry. I have a daughter named Ivanka and a wife named Melania who constantly want me to talk about women’s health issues because they know how I feel about it and they know how I feel about women. I respect women, I love women, I cherish women. You know, Hillary Clinton, said, he shouldn’t cherish. Well I said, I do cherish — I cherish women. My mother was one of the great people of the world. Maybe the greatest, ever, my mother. I respect women and I’m going to take care of women. You know, Jeb Bush didn’t want to fund women’s health issues. You read that, you saw that. And then he took it back later. I will take care of women, and I have great respect for women, and I do cherish women, and I will take care of women.”
9. When asked in October 2016 in Nevada about whether his comments about women’s appearances could be “hurtful to girls struggling with body image”: “A lot of that was done for the purpose of entertainment, there’s nobody that has more respect for women than I do.”
10. After the New York Times reported on women who reported Trump had made unwanted advances: “I was so furious at that story, because there’s nobody that respects women more than I do, Sean, you know that. And I treat women with respect.”
11. Criticizing the treatment of women in some Muslim countries after the Orlando terrorist attack in June 2016: “We know they believe in certain things that we don’t want to believe in. You know, I said the other day, and I said it very strongly: I have great respect for women. If you look at what Hillary Clinton has done — I have tremendous respect. If you look at what Hillary Clinton has done with women, number one, from certain countries, her foundation has taken millions, tens of millions of dollars from countries that want to enslave women. Enslave — want to enslave women.”
12. In December 2015, after a memo circulating in the GOP establishment suggested he had said too many “whacky things about women“: “I don’t say anything wacky about women. I have more respect for women than anybody would understand.”
13. In a January 2016 appearance on “Fox News Sunday”: “I have more respect for women than Hillary Clinton has. I have more respect than Hillary Clinton, okay? I will take care of this country far better than Hillary.”
14. In a January 2016 appearance on CBS’s “Face the Nation”: “I have more respect for women by far than Hillary Clinton has. And I will do more for women than Hillary Clinton will. I will do far more, including the protection of our country.”
15. At a May 2016 rally in Oregon, as Clinton was attacking him for his treatment of women: “First of all, nobody respects women more than Donald Trump, I’ll tell you. Nobody respects women more. My daughter Ivanka always says, ‘Daddy, nobody respects women more than you, Daddy, what are they talking about?'”
16. A day later in Washington: “Hillary Clinton just ordered $80 million worth of hit ads on Donald trump, and it’s hit ads on Donald Trump and women. Nobody respects women more than I do.”
17. Two days later: “She can’t talk about me because nobody respects women more than Donald Trump, and I will be better for women by a big factor than Hillary Clinton — who frankly, I don’t even think will be good to women.”
18) At an December 2015 rally in South Carolina: “[Clinton] said this guy has demonstrated a penchant for sexism. Nobody respects women more than Donald Trump.”
19. In April 2016, after Sean Hannity complained that Democrats would attack Trump as racist and sexist: “I will say this, and I think — I think a lot of people will confirm it. Nobody has more respect for women than I do — that I can tell you. Nobody.”
20. In an October 2015 appearance on ABC’s “This Week,” talking about how great Melania and Ivanka Trump would be in the White House: “They both want me — they said, dad, you have such respect for women, and they say, you cherish women. You have such respect for women, you’ve got to speak more about it, because there’s nobody that cares more for women than you. My mother was one of the great people ever in my life that I’ve ever met. And I have just amazing admiration and respect for women.”
21. In an August 2015 appearance on “Meet the Press”: “I have so much respect for women, and I will help women in terms of the health issues because it’s so important to do that. Chuck, I have thousands of women working for me. I have women working at high positions. I was one of the first people to put women in charge of big construction jobs. And, you know, I have had a great relationship with women.”